On May 1, Miraval’s first cookbook, Mindful Eating hits the bookshelves. Mindfulness is a concept that is infused throughout the Miraval experience. It’s a conscious approach to being in the present moment. When related to food, mindfulness is the art of reacquainting yourself with hunger and letting it cue you to eat, rather than eat when the clock says you should or when your emotions drive you to the refrigerator.
Mindful Eating opens up the world of healthy eating to anyone, regardless of skill in the kitchen. The book begins with the basics; how to stock your pantry, kitchen equipment needed, and some real simple recipes that form the base for more complicated dishes later in the book.
The book serves up Miraval favorites in standard categories like breakfast, appetizers, soups, salads, vegetables, entrees and desserts. But the book is more comprehensive than many, also offering recipes for baked goods, flatbreads, dressings and sauces, dips and snacks, juices and even cocktails.
As a dessert fiend, the healthy sweets have always stood out for me when I visited Miraval. Here’s one of my favorites that is featured in the cookbook .
Chocolate Cranberry Coconut Macaroons
2 c flake type cereal (Special K)
1/2c sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ c dried cranberries
¼ c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 large egg whites
¾ c sugar
1/2t pure vanilla extract
1/8 t salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- Combine the cereal, coconut, cranberries and chips in large bowl
- With electric mixer beat egg whites on medium until frothy. Gradually add sugar and whip until thick and glossy. Add vanilla and salt and mix for another 10 seconds.
- Fold the meringue into the dry ingredients, careful to not deflate meringue
- Use a ¾-ounce scoop and portion mixture onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes. Rotate pans and continue to bake until golden brown and cookies lift freely from paper. Usually about 16 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet for at least 30 minutes. Store in airtight container.
Total Fat: 1 gram
Carbs: 10 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Protein: 1 gram