It’s the French paradox. For some reason French women don’t get fat. Want to avoid getting graisse? (even the word “fat” sounds better in French!) Put a little Francais in your diet, head to Phoenix’s own French bistro, Coup des Tartes.
With all the butter and decadence in French cuisine, it’s hard to understand how the French stay so slim and trim. But if I had to venture a guess I would say it boils down to using quality ingredients, reigning in portion size, not snacking between meals and walking everywhere.
While Coup des Tartes can’t help with the latter, it can help with the former-using good ingredients and controlling the size of each dish.
A recent dinner at the romantic bistro (hint: Valentine’s Day is coming) began with appetizers like high quality cheese and baguette, bruschetta and the classic escargot served family style. Being able to choose how much of each to eat also gave each diner control over the portion size.
At many restaurants, multi-course dinners aren’t adjusted to account for the sheer quantity of food. That isn’t the case at Coup des Tartes. All of the courses were portioned well, the kind of size you’d expect to get in France.
The second course was a pineapple coconut curry risotto that seemed an odd choice for a French restaurant. Not bad, but not a fit with the rest of the tasting menu.
A salmon with couscous and spinach was perfectly cooked and a nice third course. The main course was a steak with shrimp and mashed potatoes my friend said were the best mashed pommes she’s had in ages. As a pescatarian, the kitchen prepared shrimp and haircot verts for me. A much more waist friendly option.
Dessert was happily also shared amongst the group.
If you’re interested in experiencing the French paradox for yourself, Coup des Tartes’ Valentine’s Day menu is a perfect excuse. Cost is $99/person. Rumored aphrodisiacs are underlined….
- Ultimate Cherry topped Brie with toasted almonds and toast points
- Wild Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tarte
- Coup Escargot with fresh garlic, white wine, and red chile
- Moules au Roquefort mussels in an Roquefort fondue and begette
- Roasted Beet Soup with Fennel and Orange
- Kale Pomegranate Salad with apple, and honey, almonds, tossed with a balsamic
- Filet Mignon 100% natural grass fed Australian beef wrapped in bacon and served atop a sweet, spicy corn and fig Accompanied with our Yukon Gold mashed potatoes
- Canadian Lobster Tail sweet tender lobster tail topped with an orange glaze and served with a citrus and cilantro risotto studded with succulent pieces of pink grapefruit and naval oranges and served with sautéed asparagus
- Lamb Shank 100% grass fed Australian lamb shank coated with warm spices, braised all day then served Moroccan style over pearl couscous
- Chilean Sea Bass oven roasted to perfection and topped with a fresh grape & walnut salsa with a balsamic glaze. Served a top a kale
- Vodka Cherry Tarte
- Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee
- Chocolate Caramel Fleur de Sel